Here's a standing up shot of the outfit!
This will be a super super long description of the things I did for the outfit (more so as a reminder for myself down the road as to what I did, but if you find it interesting, hopefully it'll be helpful to you too
I tried a lot of new things for this outfit. Some of them were pretty fun, some of them were just downright tedious and annoying. But at least the results were super satisfying!
I spent a lot of time trying to find the closest thing resembling the hat. It seems to be some rendition of a Bicorne hat, so I fiddled around with the pattern until I got something close enough.
I painted the black lace pattern on because I couldn't find a lace pattern I liked enough to use XD;;; It doesn't really show up in pictures, but meeeeh, it makes me happy ;w;
For the feather tail thing, I decided not to use a feather boa and construct one myself. I used 3 different types of feathers and wired and glued everything together layer by layer. It was actually pretty fun doing that but I was super scared of breaking the feather bones while wiring and gluing them together XD;;;
I box pleated all of the ruffles on the shirt.
I thought the collar was an actual Elizabethan collar so I spent some time researching on what those actually looked like. But then when I studied my ref pics closer, it turned out that it was actually just more box pleats XD
A very masochistic thing I decided to bring upon myself was to fabric-coat all the buttons for the shirt. There were about 13-14 of those tiny buggers. It wouldn't have been so hard... if the fabric wasn't as thick as it was... XD;;; My fingers were pretty red by the end of it XD;;;
Also, you would not believe how hard it was to locate blackxwhite striped fabric when I tried to look for it. It was either they didn't carry it/the stripes were too small/stripes too big/wrong type of material... OTL Then when I finally found it, I decided to just buy it even though it was a little bit pricier
...it must've been the most expensive thing on me compared to the other stuff...
By the time I got to the draping on the shorts, I was slightly worried I didn't have enough time to finish it. But by sheer determination, it was done on time.
I was even able to squeeze in some paint stenciling and scallop details on that bloody thing. Because I didn't find any scallop lace I liked to add on to the edge, I decided 'what the heck' and cut all of the scallop details by hand and stenciled in the lace details. I should've used some sparkly paint or whatever coz it doesn't show up in pictures... but meh, it's one of those "people can't see it but it makes me happyyyyyy ;W;" type of thing
Unfortunately the fabric didn't want to take my fray check properly, so I had to resort to nail polish to lock the edges... OTL I don't think that was a very smart idea halfway through. Next time something like this happens, I'll take my friend's advice and use mod podge XD;;;
If socks don't come with lace trimmings at the top (or to however you like it), just make a lace garter like thing with elastic, and ta-da, instant lace trimmings! It kinda helps to make it stay in place when you have a clip garter there too XD
And that's it!
A huge thanks to all of my friends who had to listen to me whine and cry while I was making this
Also a huge thanks to my friends that gave me advice on some of the construction for pieces on this. Couldn't have done it without you guys
...now I need to decide which outfit of bocchan's I want to make next year... XD;;;
@ Sakura-Con 2012
photo thanks to